Thursday, May 10, 2012

Taco Pie

I've said it before, I'll say it again: When making Mac and Cheese - make sure you have the Mac!!!

Anyone care to guess what I didn't make for supper last night?

But it's all okay - I've got macaroni for dinner tonight and last night we had Taco Pie.
I had tortillas kicking around for some time and I was craving something Taco-ish but I had alot of stuff I wanted to use up in my fridge, so if it sounded Mexican, I threw it in this layered casserole!
I started with a bottom layer of tortilla, topped with a thin layer of hot Taco Sauce. On top went a ground beef mix I had cooked up with red onions and taco seasoning, and then some diced tomatoes and red peppers. On went another tortilla, on which I spread some salsa con queso and threw on some jalapenos. Then I added the rest of the ground beef, followed by some homemade enchilada sauce I'd had in my freezer for a while and some sour cream. One more tortilla and then I topped it with the remaining tomatoes and peppers, some cilantro and a thin layer of grated cheddar. Here are the approximate measurements I used:
2 lbs beef
3 tbsp taco seasoning
1/3 c. diced red onion
1 large tomato
1 red pepper
1 c. enchilada sauce
1 1/2 tbsp hot taco sauce
2 tbsp salsa con queso
1 1/2 tbsp jalapenos
1/4 c. cilantro
1/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. grated cheddar
3 tortillas

That filled (quite nicely) my 9x9 stone dish and after about 30 minutes in the oven it was hot and bubbly and gorgeous. I totally thought it would last us for a couple of meals, but my husband had different ideas. He was nice enough to leave me a bit for lunch today, but even Gabe ate more than I expected! Don't worry too much about a recipe if you go to make one of these, just throw in whatever you've got kicking around. My only word of caution, be careful about how much moisture is in it - you don't want your pie to be floating in liquids!

As I said, tonight I made sure I had macaroni, so I will definitely be making my uber-awesome Crab + Goat Cheese topped Mac. And again, I'll let you know how it goes!

Mrs. VanderLeek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!