Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter 2012!

I've got to do this quick - my husband needs the computer!

Happy Easter, everyone!

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend with friends and family and that you got to eat as much yummy food as I did! We spent the first part of our weekend in Calgary visiting my sister, followed by time in our hometown visiting my in-laws. Today we had time just by ourselves to start our own Easter traditions.

Tradition #1 that I was eager to do was an Easter Egg hunt. We had done one in Calgary with my niece and hid glow sticks with the eggs and shut off all the lights in the room. The kids loved it, although Gabriel was so excited about the glow sticks that he didn't bother picking up his eggs at first!
While that was good fun and all, I didn't feel like I had given my child nearly enough sugar, so tonight we hid 10 plastic eggs for him, all stuffed with chocolates, and 3 NHL Chocolate Eggs with toys in the center. No, he did not eat that all today. We're in the middle of potty training and the consistency part seems to be the hardest part for him, so we're giving him little treats every time he goes potty with a dry diaper. The chocolates from his plastic eggs will go in the 'treat' drawer that he gets to take something out of after each successful trip.

Tradition #2 I was excited about was making Resurrection Buns. My mom used to break these out every year as my youth group leader and I never was too fussed about them, but now that I have my own kids I was super excited to do them again. And I figured out the secret to making them worth doing every year: Butter and Sugar. It's a super simple concept - take a Pillsbury biscuit tube, marshmallows, butter and cinnamon-sugar. Roll the marshmallows in the melted butter, then coat them in the sugar. Fold the biscuit dough over the marshmallow then roll the biscuit in butter and then coat with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes and when you crack them open the marshmallow has melted and it's like an empty tomb! HOWEVER, there are a couple tricks to this that I was unaware of until after I had made mine. Many of the recipes I had seen online said to use Pillsbury Crescent Rolls... DON'T DO IT! Have you any idea how hard it is to wrap a triangle around a marshmallow? There were far too many narrow parts to make a clean job of it, and then there was the endless seaming that was, apparently, all for naught. When I open the oven after my timer went, I was distressed to find that most of the seams had burst and my rolls had deflated. Once I finally got a hold of my mom and talked to her about it, she let me on to the wiseness of using the biscuit dough (squares people... totally the way to go) and then she also advised that next time I leave one seam open, so that the air has somewhere to go and doesn't force your seams open.

Lucky for me, I've got a very gracious little boy. He didn't care that his treat looked a little bit flat. He was thrilled to help me put them together and when we opened it up he said, "Where did Jesus go, Mommy?" I love him :)

Dinner tonight was nothing traditional - unless you consider it a tradition to have Thai Coconut Curry soup for Easter Dinner. I needed something that I could throw in the crock pot before church so that we could eat within half an hour of getting home from church, and my lemongrass was begging to be used.

Hubby's in a hurry so I think I'll have to post that recipe tomorrow!

Mrs. VanderLeek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!