Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Balsamic Reduction

Okay, I need advice. If anyone has made a balsamic reduction before I would like your input. As I may or may not have mentioned before my attempt at a reduction went horribly last week. I just wanted it to be really simple... A reduction, by definition is the process of thickening or intensifying flavour of a liquid mixture by boiling. Now, balsamic reductions should, in my opinion, be sweetened - and hence lies my issue. What should I sweeten with?? I've seen people recommend (I don't know how to spell that word so I mix it up every time I type it...) maple syrup, honey, sugar, etc... I don't buy high quality enough balsamic vinegar to get away with not sweetening it (I actually can't find any in town that are high quality enough). So, short of ordering some online for ridiculous amounts of money, I need to figure out the best sweetening agent for the reduction. And preferably in time for me to make my duck!! I've had people express an interest in coming and watching me attempt to debone it (not help, mind you, just watch - and laugh) The recipe is still up for grabs. Laura Calder has a Raspberry Duck, I could do a confit or try out a Julia Child original from the new cookbook my amazing sister-in-law just gave me! I may do multiple recipes at the same time however. Mostly just different sauces I suppose. I'd probably make the duck on a night that we're having company over or when my dad can try some (he's a duck fan).
Another thing I'd like to figure out: saffron rice. When Matt and I ate at the New Asian Village in Edmonton a couple of months ago we had their saffron rice and it was fantastic. Of course, then I'd have to find saffron... Again, I don't know of anywhere in town that carries it. I know my two regular grocery stores don't.
And I really ought to keep fish sauce in my fridge. I always want to make my own asian sauces but I never have the ingredients. Fish sauce would be a good one to start with.
This long weekend is unfortunately going to be quite rainy. Now, I can guarantee that my sister will want to play some Settlers of Catan and I'll of course want to play some hand and foot canasta, however, Matt and I also had a slew of plans that involved being outdoors. We'd talked about things like canoing, going to Ellis Bird Farm, going to the beach and golfing. And now we're not sure at all what we're going to do. Perhaps we'll take the kids to the pool, or maybe Matt and I will leave Gabe and home and we'll brave the rain out at Ellis Bird Farm, or maybe we'll hit up the museum.
Anyway, I'd best get going. I have a bunch of cream in the fridge that needs to be used up before Friday so it looks like I'm making a cream sauce for dinner.

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!