Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Angel Cake and Wine Jelly and Grapes

Tonight my grandparents and uncle are coming from out of town. We're all having dinner at my parents' house and I promised to make dessert (partly because I lost a bet). Part of the bet that I lost actually stated that it had to be a dessert that they've never had before - well, I think I've found that. Today I made a Wine Jelly poured over red grapes. I found the recipe in Laura Calder's French Taste and was excited for an excuse to make it. My Grandmother is heartily opposed to anything with alcohol in it (she may be tempted to try it in jelly form though) so I made an alternative/go-with just in case. Again, from Laura Calder's French Taste (Now I'm up to 4 recipes in two weeks from that book! Definately a record!) I decided to make her Angel Cake - the french equivalent of Angel Food Cake. However, this cake uses the yolks from the eggs as well, so instead of needing 12 egg whites and having a butt load of yolks which seem to demand you make a pudding, this takes 6 eggs without anything left over. I've never made an angel food cake from scratch because I just can't bring myself to use 12 eggs for one cake. This seemed more reasonable on so many counts. I just peeked at the cake in the oven and it's gorgeous. It smells amazing and the consistency of the batter in second to none.
Anyway, I hope these will be a hit tonight. I'm guarenteed two happy eaters: my husband whom dotingly loves everything I make for him, and my Grandfather who has always had a taste for fine cuisine and good wine.

I was a bit indecisive about posting this recipe because I want to share it and yet I want you all to go buy that cookbook for yourself and not get them all from me. I have decided to compromise. Since you can find most of her recipes on the Food Network website, I'm going to link to it. http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Dessert/Eggs-Dairy/recipe.html?dishID=10315

Now, all of you can make the cake and read up on Laura while you're at the website.

I will say this for the desserts today: It took me under an hour to do the prep for both of them, and that's with running interference between my puppy and my baby.

Oh, and if anyone made those Sweet and Sour Meatballs last night I have a disclaimer: If you have leftover and reheat them, the vinegar becomes very strong and overpowers the other tastes. Just so you know. So eat them all the first go around :)

Well, that's all for now, I think my cake is ready!

Mrs. Vander Leek ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think of my recipes, or even of my antics! Let me know!